Tuesday 24 November 2009

Land of the Himalayas


Chestnut Shouldered Petronia is also known by the name Yellow - Throated Sparrow. As visible distinctly on its throat is yellow ribbon type patch as if the little one is wearing a collar.
I was lucky to get a good number of pictures to do a thorough study. During our Honeymoon trip, Mariam and I were trekking in the hills by the side of the Sattal lake near Almora, when I sighted this bird doing rounds & feeding its young ones holed up in a pine tree trunk.
We spend near about an hour observing the pretty bird. I started crawling towards it nest, and on spotting my approach, the Petronia decided to play patient. Also an owl threatened perched from a near by tree. Little Petronia's call was sharp and sweet very unlike a sparrow's. It moved to the nest only after I withdrew to a safe distance.
Tv = 1/320; Av = 3.5; ISO set Auto; f = 72 mm; White Balance set Auto

No comments: